Sunday, November 23, 2008

COCONUT RASAM--RM#2

DAY23 OF RM#2

Photobucket
This was something i came up with a longback bookmarked recipe from Saagari of Indian Cooking.We usually have either sambar/tomato rasam/pepper rasam with rice along with a curry for our lunch .I for some unknown reason limited my cooking skills towards rasams/samabar to just these three or once in a while pineapple rasam(only if i have some left in).Just a few days back i made this and it was a huge hit........I just followed hers exactly except for the toor dal..Its something different than the usual one's.Try i and am sure you'll like it!!


INGREDIENTS:

Toor dal--------------------1/4 cup uncooked

Coconut milk---------------2 cups

Green chillis----------------4-5

Cumin,Mustard seeds------1 tsp each

Turmericpwd--------------1/4 tsp

Red chillis------------------2

Garlic----------------------3 pods crushed

Curry leaves---------------few

Hing-----------------------a pinch

DIRECTIONS:

1.Wash and soak toor dal for 30 mins and pressure cook with green chillis until soft and keep aside till cooled down.(I usually grind the pressure cooked&cooled dal rather than mashing it.)

2.Heat oil in a sauce pan add cumin seeds,mustard seeds,curry leaves, red chilllies ,garlic,hing.

3.Fry till slight brown and add coconut milk,toor dal.Add water/tamarind juice if you feel the mixture is too thick.

4.See that the heat is medium low else it curdles.Add turmeric,salt and simmer for 5-7 mins.

5.Whe done turn off and serve with rice.

check out what others are cooking....

1) DK 2) Siri 3) Srivalli 4) Ranji 5)PJ 6)Curry Leaf 7)Medha 8)Priya 9)Bhawna10)Ruchii11)Anu12)Kamala13)Roopa14)Divya Kudua15)Rekha16)Divya M17)Lakshmi18)Raaga 19)Lakshmi Venkatesh 20)Sripriya21)Viji22)Kamalika23)Pavani24)Roochi25Karuna

13 comments:

Unknown said...

wow... nice entry Raaji... i love coconut rasam...

CurryLeaf said...

Lovely pic.I too had bookmarked Sagaris rasam.Now I should do it,after seeing yours as well.Look too good to me.

TBC said...

I've never had a rasam with coconut milk in it. It is definitley worth a shot especially since I always have frozen cooked dal and cans of coconut milk on hand.:)

Priya Suresh said...

Coconut rasam looks delish...i love them much..awesome clicks..

Uma said...

delicious rasam! A new kind!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Great looking Rasam I love this had it once before at a frnds place...

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

looks yummy.. new to me.

Sunshinemom said...

I haven't had this and now it is on my must try list! Good one, Raaji:)

Jaishree Iyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaishree Iyer said...

I've never tried a rasam with coconutmilk.Itlooksdelicious.Awesome click:)

Pavani said...

looks delicious

Uj said...

coconut rasam new to me.. looks awesome

Medhaa said...

lovely picture, looks really delicious, never made coconut rasam will try soon